Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My Tuesdays with Morrie Moment

      The first weekend in July Peter and I attended a wedding, the first of many, and I met a dear woman named Sarah. The wedding took place at Rockwood Manor, a beautiful bed and breakfast in Dublin, VA. The house on the property could be compared to what you picture when reading Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier or The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. It has 17 fireplaces, a huge front porch with rocking chairs, a swing hanging from a tree on the side of the house ... dreamy, magnificent, timeless ...
      Anyways back to my original point. I went in to use the restroom and nosily wandered around lost in thought as the house transported me back hundreds of years. As would happen in some well planned out movie scene I stuck my head into the front parlor and a white haired woman smiled and said, "come in, look around." As I rambled about how magnificent this place was, the floors, the lights fixtures, the molding ... she smiled and said I'm glad you like my home ... She then proceeded to make room, moving papers and books and invited me to join her on the couch.  
     This is Sarah. In the next 30 plus minutes I learned about the house, her family, farming, her history and how she thought changes needed to be made in Washington and she would like to make those changes herself! And then "gasp, oh the poor dear ... he's fallen. I feel so badly for him ... come on son get up and finish" ... in all the excitement and beauty of the place I hadn't even realized that the T.V. was on. Sarah was watching strangers run in the Olympic trials but had genuine heartache for this man who had tripped during his race. This is Sarah.
      As I was telling Sarah it was time for me to get back to the reception, as I was sure that Peter and all our friends were wondering what had taken me 30 minutes in the restroom, Sarah leaned over and gently touched my arm. "Dear, God had me doing a lot of things in my life that led me to where I am now, all preparing me ... things I didn't understand. You watch out! Sometimes God makes you wait until you're old and antique, but he will always have his purpose come to pass ... you watch!" This is Sarah.
     Little did Sarah know that I was struggling with that in life. What am I doing, where am I going ... who am I?! Call her Sarah, call her an Angel ... I call her my Tuesdays with Morrie Moment.



No comments:

Post a Comment