Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

A dresser make over

So as I stated in a previous post we have one closet in our entire apartment. This poses problems on many fronts ... 1. There are two of us and a dog living in this space. 2. We only have a small living room, bathroom, tiny bedroom and a even smaller kitchen. 3. We are like any normal couple ... we have clothes, books, and other things that require spaces for them to be put in! So I was on the hunt. When we first rented the apartment, I was unemployed, so although we were not yet living together we were for the 3 months before our wedding living off of one income. When you think of it that way decorating an apartment becomes a whole new ball game! After scavenging my parents house and making list of all the things my mother was giving us we were still in need of: 2 dressers, kitchen chairs, a bookshelf, coffee table, side table for the couch, and a night stand for the bedroom, shelves for the bathroom a few rugs ... yeah :)
So as I stated, I was on the hunt. I needed something that would fit with the vision I had for decorating our first place ... but also cheap. And this is what I found:




   At a second hand store down the street from us a kinda scary looking ... oddly decorated, yet in really great shape, dresser! And the best part, it was $30.00. At the time I had visions of where I would put it and how it would look when I was finished ... I had no idea how long it would take or how much work, but I knew it would be worth the money. So home the dresser came!

Luckily at this point, the apartment was still empty, as were were still painting those 15 foot walls, so I took the dresser inside. I was on a mission to get it looking at least a bit like the vision in my head before Peter got out of work ... I mean lets be honest, the metallic gold flowers and knobs, not exactly our style. So after taking the knobs off I got to work scrubbing down the gold. To my surprise it came off wicked easily! And I realized that if I just did a little extra sanding all over the dresser I wouldn't even need to apply paint. I was lucky because the paint underneath was a nice blue grey color. Perfect... seriously the vision in my head, shattered, it was better. I will admit I got a bit lucky, and had been prepared for a long road to a good looking dresser but here it is in all its glory ... although still knobless for the moment, black knobs to be added soon.






1 comment:

  1. i love it! it looks way more expensive than $30! and you are so lucky it is blue underneath! incase you couldn't tell, i love blue and black together haha : ) now i want to steal it and put it in my apartment!

    ReplyDelete