Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

The Night My Puppy Swallowed $400

Ok ... So it wasn't $400 in cash but apparently swallowing a full chicken bone is the same thing.

I worked late and had dinner in the city with a couple girlfriends, and Peter was just picking me up from their house. When he called to say he was on his way he sounded weird, but I figured it was just because he was tired and had to drive to get me. When I got in the car Peter said "we have an emergency ... it's minor but sorta not." HELLO, don't ever start a sentence speaking to a woman with those words.... especially when you speak as slowly as Peter. *insert long pause* "Elbie was really bothering me during dinner ... and so I let him lick a chicken wing ... and he kinda swallowed it." "kinda?" "No ... he did ... like the whole thing ... all in one swallow." At this point Elbie was sitting on my lap listening and no joke looking pretty proud of himself, he's a cocky little fellow and I'm pretty sure his exact thought process during Peter's dinner went something like this: " Come on man ... let me sniff that thing ... put it a little clooooser ... come on ... liiiiiittle closer ... HA LOSER I swallowed it!! I WIN"
Little does the little pup know .. we always win. So after an hour and a half at the doggie emergency room, where Elbie threw a little bit of an embarrassing fit about not being allowed to play with the other patients, we got the diagnosis. "Lucky" for us his stomach was full of his dinner, and since the selfish little guy had in fact swallowed the whole bone in one piece they asked if it was O.K. for them to induce vomiting to have him get rid of it ... we looked at each other and said "YES, we totally win!" We laughed so much sitting in that waiting room ... they probably thought we were the worst pet owners ever.

Elbie finally came out of the backroom ... drunk from the meds they had given him. He would stand up but fall right over, I tried to carry him but he refused, attempting I supposed to hold onto the little bit of dignity he had left. I'm not sure it helped his cause that his back legs were moving faster than his front so he was walking sideways and crooked ...  We finally got home and he attempted to do his doggie business outside ... but squatting while drunk proved to be a frustrating task for Elbie and for us ... well I can't say I've ever laughed so hard at an unfortunate and expensive accident before in my life. That Pup .. he continues to add amusement to our lives and also tests us constantly ... we love him despite.

No comments:

Post a Comment